1. Thank you for your interest in the Getting Kenyan Business Online campaign (“GKBO”). Google Inc. and its affiliates (“Google”) have worked in collaboration with a number of partners, to provide GKBO related tools and services posted at www.kbo.co.ke. We hope you enjoy using them. These terms and conditions are a contract between you and Google and apply to your use of the GKBO Site. They do not apply to your use of any services offered or provided by partners of Google.
2. These are the terms and conditions which govern your participation as a user of GKBO. You will be deemed to have accepted them if you use any of the services offered through the GKBO Site.
3. The key service offered through GKBO is the ability for you, if you are a business to:
a. set up a website for the use of your business; this service is offered by Google.
b. associate that website with a website address (“domain name”):
i. if you opt for a subdomain on www.kbo.co.ke; this service is offered by Google
ii. if you opt for a customized domain name not a subdomain on www.kbo.co.ke; this service is offered by partners of Google
c. if you opt in as part of the sign-up process, have that website automatically added to Google Places (as a business listing in Google Maps); this service is offered by Google.
4. The use of services provided by Google is governed by Google’s terms and conditions which can be found at http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS.
5. In each case, your use of services provided by other partners will be solely governed by the terms and conditions of use of other partners. Google is not responsible for providing these services to you, and you will need to check in each case that you are happy with the service and the terms and conditions of service of other partners before using those services. For a list of Google partners providing services please see http://www.kbo.co.ke/partners
6. Free website creation, domain name and hosting
To create a website through GKBO, you will need to click on ‘create your website now’ and follow the sign up process.
a. You will receive a free subdomain on www.kbo.co.ke, website and hosting from Google;
b. If you would like a customized domain name not on www.kbo.co.ke, you will be able to apply to a domain registration partner for a domain name at a subsidized rate;
c. After 12 months, the domain registration partner may offer you the ability to enter into a further contract for the services (subject to partner continuing to provide the services beyond the initial 12 months and partner’s terms and conditions);
d. Your agreement with partners for the services they will provide is bound by their terms and conditions which can be found at the respective partners’ websites;
e. You may also have the option to use services provided by other partners. The use of those services will be governed by the partner’s applicable terms and conditions;
a. You agree not to:
i. Use the web site creation service or domain name registration service for any purpose other than to promote your business;
ii. Ask for more than one free domain name through the GKBO Site;
iii. Knowingly permit anyone to ask for a second domain name to promote the same business;
iv. Use your free domain name for any other purpose than to promote your business;
v. Sell your free domain name or the website created through the GKBO service for money or money’s worth, except in the context of selling your business as a going concern.
vi. Use any services provided by partners, Google or any other partner in breach of any of the terms and conditions for the use of those services. In particular, your website created through this service must comply with the Business Sitebuilder Program Policies at all times.
vii. The services and offers you receive through GKBO are not for resale and may not be sold or transferred unless the terms and conditions applicable to that service or offer expressly permit sale or transfer.
viii. You understand that these terms and conditions may also apply to the services offered by other partners, where they are incorporated into their terms and conditions.
8. Data protection and privacy
a. Any data including personal data which:
ii. you enter into a website run by partners will be held by the partners subject to the partners’ privacy policies
b. Partners and Google may share this information with each other and trusted third parties involved in GKBO in order to provide the services offered under GKBO (including the site you create and the domain name you acquire)
c. Google and its partners may, if you have given your consent in the sign up process, contact you to help you benefit from the service and provide information about other products and services that may be of interest to you
d. When you request a free subdomain or a customized domain name, Google and partners are obliged to provide registrant details to Kenya Network Information Centre (Kenic) a body which administers .co.ke and other Kenyan domains. Kenic will make those details available through a publicly accessible record called a “WHOIS” record, which you can find on the Kenic website.
8. Changes and third party services
a. Google and its partners reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to change, modify, add, or delete portions of these terms at any time without further notice. If this happens, the new terms will be posted on the GKBO Site. Your continued use of the site you have created via GKBO, or the GKBO Site after any such changes constitutes your acceptance of the new terms.
b. Google and its partners may change the GKBO Site and the services offered through it from time to time without liability to you. Google does not accept responsibility for or endorse any third party services offered through the GKBO Site.
9. Withdrawal of services.
a. If you use the GKBO Site or any of the services offered through the GKBO Site in contravention of these terms, or of any other terms referred to in these terms, or if you use them against the spirit of the GKBO campaign, the services you are being provided may be withdrawn from you
b. Google and partners may end or suspend GKBO or the GKBO Site at any time at their sole discretion without any liability to you. This will not affect the existence of your site.
10. Governing Law
These terms and conditions are governed by English law and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts in relation to any dispute concerning these terms of service save that either party may apply to any court for an injunction or other relief to protect its Intellectual Property Rights.
If you select to submit your details to Google Maps, we may use the data you provide to create a Google Places page for your business. You can find out more about the Google Places service by going to http://www.google.com/places/ and, where a listing is created (or has already been created) you can verify your listing and claim your Google Places page by following the process on that site.